Scones & Clotted Cream from The Grove
- 15 minPrep Time
- 10 minCooking Time
3 cups standard plain flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
75g Lewis Road Creamery butter (unsalted)
1 - 1½ cups Lewis Road Creamery double cream
500ml Lewis Road Creamery double cream
Orange and Lemon Confit:
1. Cut lemons and orange slices.
2. Poach lemons 10 times to get rid of all bitterness, then drain.
3. Add a tablespoon of Heilala Vanilla paste and a pinch of salt to the lemon.
4. Add garnishes of orange blossom to the orange slices.
5. Place bag of citrus slices in ice bath until cooled.
Dust with powdered sugar for a lovely finish.
Add raisins throughout scone dough for a burst of sweetness.
1. Preheat oven to 165C. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cut softened butter in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add 1 cup cream and mix quickly with a knife to a soft dough, adding more cream if needed. Knead a few times.
3. Lightly dust an oven tray with flour.
4. Press scone mix out on floured bench or tray, cut into 12 even-sized pieces. Place on oven tray, brush tops with egg and place in top half of oven to bake.
4. Bake scones for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Once golden brown with crisp crusts, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Cooling on a rack will give you crisp crusts, while covering them with a clean tea towel will give a soft scone.
Bake the cream at 70C overnight, then hang it in a cheese cloth to drain off all the liquid, or until thick and rich.